Situation in Thailand
67,091,089 (July 2012 estimate)
Thai 75%, Chinese 14%, other 11%
Buddhist (official) 94,6%, Muslim 4,6%, Christian 0.7%, other 0.1%
Thai, ethnic and regional dialects
Life Expectancy at Birth
15,9 deaths/1,000 live births
Population Access to Safe Water
Population Access to Sanitation
131,6 billion kWh
Access to Internet
17,483 million (26%)
GDP per capita
USD 9,500 (2011 estimate)
country comparison to the world: 114 (out of 226)
Consumer Price Index (annual % change) = Inflation
Agriculture: 40,7%, Industry: 13,2%, Services: 46,1% (2011 estimate)
Human Development Index
103 out of 187 in 2011
How we help
- Together with local communities we build boarding houses in larger towns for students from remote villages attending secondary schools. Students can stay in these boarding houses during the week while attending school.
- Together with local communities Child's Dream builds water systems for schools and communities.
- We give high school scholarships to students from remote areas whose families are poor (ethnic minorities, stateless people, migrants, occasionally street children).
- Studentsí grades in remote villages in northern Thailand are low, due to a lack of teaching materials, school supplies, or environments that are not conducive to learning. Together with partners we offer student training in English language, sciences or IT.
- We co-operate with partners in training and mentoring teachers to improve their motivation and teaching skills.
- Often schools in remote areas cannot keep fresh food for long as there is no electricity. We work with schools to establish school gardens/farms.