Situation in Cambodia
multiparty democracy under a constitutional monarchy
14,952,665 (July 2012 estimate)
Khmer 90%, Vietnamese 5%, Chinese 1%, other 4%
Buddhist (official) 96,4%, Muslim 2,1%, other or unspecified 1,5% (1998 census)
Khmer (official) 95%
Life Expectancy at Birth
54,08 deaths/1,000 live births
Population Access to Safe Water
Population Access to Sanitation
1,559 billion kWh
GDP per capita
USD 2,200 (2011 estimate)
country comparison to the world: 186 (out of 226)
Consumer Price Index (annual % change) = Inflation
Agriculture: 57,6%, Industry: 15,9%, Services: 26,5% (2009 estimate)
Human Development Index
139 out of 187 in 2011
How we help
- Children in remote areas of Cambodia study in unsafe or temporary buildings built by local communities. We renovate and build safe school facilities with some contribution from the communities (free labour, sand, stones, wood).
- Children from poor families cannot continue education at high schools. We offer scholarships to students who have a strong desire and high motivation to pursue further education.
- We implement school health promotion programmes with the involvement of parents, communities and teachers.
- Together with partner organizations we have established a training and mentoring system to improve mathematics teaching skill of teachers.
- We build water tanks at schools to collect rain water during the rainy seasons to use during the dry seasons.
- We install solar charging stations at school and enable villagers to load batteries. They pay a small fee for the service. A local 'solar committee' maintains the system. The income from the system is used for the school (e.g. stationary).
- Together with local communities we build playgrounds for children at schools to have a safe place to play.